Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Note to self: red-eye flights are not a good idea

I am currently in Chisec, Guatemala. It´s day three and I´m just getting over the ¨What am I doing here?" phase. Chris and I just finished dinner at a street stand and witnessed the owner beat up his son for leering at me. So now you all have proof that my safety is in very good hands. Or maybe I should just bring this guy around with us. Actually, we´ve been surprised: we feel very, very safe and there hasn´t yet been a threat of theft that we´ve seen.

We´ve definitely had some amazing experiences thus far. We´ve ridden in three buses with three very different drivers: #1 was medium, #2 was fast, and #3 was faster. On that 3rd bus we weren´t sure we were going to make it...

I have to brag that we´re doing very well, too, especially considering this is only our third day here. Our Spanish keeps getting better, and we´re strating to know how to ask the right questions, such as ¨does the shower have hot water?¨ We´re learning how much is a reasonable price for a banano, which is what they´re called down here. Note to the Mestizo woman at the market in Coban: I may be a gringa, but I´m not going to buy 1 banana for 5 dollars.

Today we visited La Candelaria caves and were led on a private tour down the river, underneath the caves. The best part was that our mode of transport was innertube!

Pictures soon, I promise. I have to go now or I´m going to melt away into a puddle on the floor of this internet cafe.

2 comments:

hardcori said...

I'm so glad you're posting on your travel blog! Yay! I can't wait to hear about tubing through the caves, wow. I am so envious. Glad you guys are having great adventures and being safe! love you!

Jen said...

Hope you both are ok after the earthquake there! Great to keep up with you on your travels. Lily and I miss you in class though! :)